A Heritage to Honor, A Future to Fulfill : George Fox College 1891-1991

Document Type

Book - Full Text

Publication Date



CHAPTER ONE-1885 to 1911 Newberg's Quakers establish Friends Pacific Academy in 1885 and Pacific College in 1891.

CHAPTER TW0-1911 to 1926 Levi Pennington guides the Academy and College through difficult years that lead to recognition by the U. S. Bureau of Educational Standards.

CHAPTER THREE-1926 to 1941 Sacrifices by a heroic faculty help the College survive a severe economic depression. The board decides, in 1929, to close the Academy.

CHAPTER FOUR-1941 to 1954 Theological controversy takes a heavy toll as the College seeks its identity. The trustees change the name to George Fox College in 1949.

CHAPTER FIVE-1954 to 1969 The College and its founding church unify. Milo Ross leads the school to full accreditation in 1959.

CHAPTER SIX-1969 to 1982 George Fox College grows and becomes financially stable during David Le Shana's presidency. Eight new buildings are added to the campus.

CHAPTER SEVEN-1982 to 1991 After several difficult years, GFC rebounds to record enrollment, financial stability, and national recognition with Edward F. Stevens as President.

APPENDIX The Religious Antecedents of George Fox College, Chronology, Presidents, Board of Trustees, Honorary Degrees Granted, Alumnus of the Year, Associated Student Body Presidents, The Crescent Editors, L'Ami Editors, Building Names, Campus Maps


Produced by George Fox College in celebration of its first one hundred years.

ISBN: 0-913342-71-8

Design by Judi Timmons; Composition and lithography by The Barclay Press, 600 East Third Street • Newberg, Oregon 97132-3106 U. S.A.